Monday, February 28, 2011

Sweet Potato Slips - Step TWO!

Two of the sprouts finally seemed large enough to try rooting. This morning I gently twisted the sprouts from the sweet potato. Then I laid each sprout in a small dish of water, where they will stay until they root - which hopefully will only take a few days.



The other two potatoes do not seem to be rooting well - but they have sprouts. I will monitor them a few more days (now that I've changed their water) and see what happens. If no more growth happens, I may try shaving a bit more off the bottoms to see if that will encourage more roots. Fingers crossed!

2 comments:

  1. hi there! just found your blog while searching for sweet potato info. did the 2 other potatoes ever root?

    i have a crazy lil guy, that grew shoots on his own, super long ones! finally put him in water a couple of weeks ago, but still no roots??? =< i recently twisted off 3 slips and planted them to see what happens and the remaining shoots on the potato grew taller right away! it seems strong, but just not rooting...any advice? thx! =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, if you don't get roots on the potato, but you have sprouts, twist the sprouts off and put in water - they should root.
    I only just put my rooted slips into containers with soil. Out of 4, 2 lost their leaves and shriveled. The other two are just barely holding their own.
    Not sure what is going on - but it could be a result of the potatoes being treated with the growth retardant.
    Best of luck! Let me know how you get on!

    ReplyDelete