Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Spring's sprung already? Where's my Garden Journal?

While standing in the snow flurries this morning, holding the pony, awaiting a visit from the farrier, I happened to notice the first signs of green pushing up! I couldn't believe it. I had to look twice. My one little patch of daffodils has decided to start growing.

Upon closer inspection, I concluded they began sprouting some time last weeek. Surely that is too soon, or so I thought. I decided to scan through my Garden Journal to see if I noticed this in the past year or so. And in mid-January 2008, there it was, a small note about the daffodils sprouting. A note later, confirmed that sprouting early didn't hurt the blooms. They were full and plentiful.

The Garden Journal, one of my favorite "tools." You may be asking yourself, do I really need one? The answer is YES! Well, you should at least consider it if you are serious about your gardening.

Your journal doesn't need to be anything fancy. I myself use a 3-ring binder. I set my journal up with calendar pages for each month and plenty of loose leaf in between. I keep separate sections for tips and ideas; projects lists; plant lists; garden diagrams; budget. Everything that has to do with my gardens goes in.
  1. Seeds ordered
  2. Seeds started and when
  3. When things sprout
  4. When seedlings go into the ground
  5. Garden diagrams
  6. Garden projects - new beds, transplanting
  7. Photos - as things sprout, stages of the garden
  8. Plant list

As you can see, I like to document. I take stock in my evergreens - do they look like they got damaged over the winter? How well do they come back, if at all? I cut the photos out of the catalogs of things I purchased and stick them on sheets behind my plant lists. But that is just me - it is the science geek in me coming out. At the end of the season, I can move the pages for the year to the back, and start again in January! I only have to start a new binder when one gets full. Good thing I bought the 3" wide binder!

Get started! Grab a composition book, 3-ring binder, spiral notebook, or a bound journal, pencil or pen and start documenting! You'll be glad you did.

I'm glad I take notes - now I know that I don't need to worry about my little daffodils being early, they typically sprout this time of year.

3 comments:

  1. I'm jealous you have daffodils up already! I did find a few things in my garden the other day that have me pretty excited for spring. Anything I can do to keep that feeling going is good tho!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound very organized! I like to plan, as well. If I don't I end up buying plants I just don't know where to put. Enjoyed your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great advice. I remember my dad's color-coded notebook (with charts even) about his garden. Before the internet, he was the first place I went for information.

    ReplyDelete