Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Stroll Through a Winter Garden

The chilliest day we have had all week, and I decide to go out and take photos (and stock) of my gardens. I find I need to fill up my time with such tasks as I eagerly await my new seed starting flats so I can start getting my hands dirty. It also stems from my attendance last night at a lecture by a fellow Master Gardener on Garden Pests & Beneficial Organisms. Will this be the year that I really look for pests in the garden? And keep it up beyond May 1st?

I did not find any little creatures hiding in the garden, but to my surprise and delight, I noticed several early birds (besides the daffodils which I mentioned in my last blog):iris, yarrow, and lilac! I also stumbled across a lovely little moss making its home at the base of a small retaining log in my Hollow Shade Garden. So though I may have been moaning a bit about all the blah of a winter garden, it isn't that long of a time without some green.

Here are a few bits of green for you!


Daffodils & some wild strawberry


White Lilac buds


Moss in the Hollow Shade Garden


Iris peeking out

Happy Gardening!

1 comment:

  1. Chick Weed, your photos are full of promise! I've only lived in SE FL for 5 years, relocating from the Chicago suburbs, where such a sight as your photos sends the heart leaping with joy! I remember watching longingly for the first Robin and the giant snow crocus! Not that I miss the snow or cold, but those memories are full of happiness for me. Thanks so much for sharing your 1st shots of spring!

    ReplyDelete